l>Hl>The Uul>Havl>Tul>The Uul>
by Nakor on Steam
Early Access Review
UPDATE June 12, 2015:
I have been asked to update my review. Ok, I finally got around to it. Unfortunately it's not going to improve things. When I tried to play to update my opinion I found some insane things that simply stopped me from playing. Here are the most important reasons I quit playing after only a few minutes. I will leave it at that:
* The popup tooltips do not have any support for controllers. So I can run around in the game with a controller but have to switch to my mouse and keyboard when a tooltip pops up? Right...
* The guns are placed in THE WORST way I have ever seen. EVER. Why, WHY, would a person hold a gun like that? Take the handgun, when I picked this gun up the game character holds it way up to the right blocking a big portion of the screen. When you aim it moves it way over to the left and way back in a way that makes absolutely no sense at all. It feels like the character is somehow holding the gun beside their head, and behind it at the same time. Soon after picking up the pistol I picked up some sort of a rocket launcher. This gun took up more than HALF THE SCREEN. Simply unacceptable.
That was when I shut the game down. Read the original review if you like. I'm out.
Keeping in mind that this is an early access review (although when it is this short I have trouble calling it a review), I can not currently recommend CDF Ghostship. The game seems like it will be really cool when some more work is put into it, but at the moment there are things that make it too frustrating for me.
Shooting can be painful.
- Guns that do not reload but recharge instead are nice, but there is no clear indication of this which can definitely be a problem in battle.
- Hitting what you shoot at is often difficult because the enemy hit boxes are too small or oddly shaped, and the guns are horribly inaccurate.
- The UI is not well designed (yet?) and does not indicate well your reserves of ammo.
- Having a few enemies be annoying is fine, but when the majority of your enemies are based around being annoying you have a problem.
- Tiny enemies with tiny hit boxes moving around fast with inaccurate weapons = This is dumb, I'll play another game.
I know, it is Early Access. I get that. I'm a game developer, I know what it is like. That said, I'm also a gamer.
- I would not recommend you go into the inventory screen ("I" button). The mouse moves so fast I can hardly find it and it almost always causes the game to do some of the weirdest glitching I've ever seen.
- The UI does not well indicate the amount of information you need. This was mentioned above as well.
Any other problem I could mention with it is no big deal to me at the moment so I will leave it at that. The bottom line here is that it is playable, but if you are short on cash I would wait.
One other thing to note is that while the game does support side by side 3D (Oculus Rift), the UI is NOT built for it and the guns float right in front of your face not only making you uncomfortable but also blocking much of your vision. It is not playable with the Rift.